When my watercolor professor said that the class was going to work on a still life set up and we all needed to bring something in, I started thinking of what could be interesting. She mentioned the importance of the “unexpected”, showed us a few examples, and then said that if we were unable to think of an object, we could always borrow from the classroom still life shelf. Now, when thinking of the unexpected, anything on that shelf doesn’t come to mind. It’s filled with a variety of bottles, bowls, and random objects which would be contained in your typical still life.
I thought I would alter one of those objects, and bring in something that was usually expected, but had become unexpected. After venturing over to my parent’s house and practically begging my mother for one of her vases from the plethora which is her collection, I shattered one, and brought it in to class. Everyone brought in your typical items; a bowl, a more stylized vase, some pine cones, flowers and twigs found outside, and of course, some objects from the still life shelf. When I presented my object, I was greeted with shock that I would actually shatter something to make it interesting for a still life. “Broken, for the sake of art!!”, my professor exclaimed. It was pretty comical, in my opinion, but I was happy to contribute something that would make our set up a little more interesting.
With that being said, my mother also thought is was pretty, well, dumb for lack of a better word, that I would just break something for my art class. Well, mother, I’m happy to report that my little broken vase is being put to good, multiple, use. When thinking of an idea for this week’s theme, high key, I automatically thought of the white daisies that I bought for a different photo shoot that I did earlier this week, but like I said, I’m not one for the “light and fluffy” type photographs. I began to think of how I could make things more interesting, when alas, I have my little shattered vase, which would compliment the flower quite well, while making for a more complex set up.
I’m pretty satisfied with how the photos turned out. They have an element of darkness, while being extremely bright in content. An “I’m sorry gone awry” is what these images make me think of. I know I said I was going to go with the black and white theme, but with being able to actually set up a white backdrop and properly overexpose my images slightly, I thought that leaving those small areas of color would bring in some much-needed variety. Though the original images would have been successfully considered as high key, I did a little editing to remove some of the saturated color in the flower, as well as to remove some of the shadows. I was only working with natural light, so without being able to flood the set up with light, I was bound to have several shadows. Honestly, I like the shadows and light passing through the shattered glass pieces, but to say in line with the theme of this week, I thought I would work to keep my images as close to high key as possible, and eliminate any unnecessary dark areas. Check them out!